Friday, February 11, 2011

Finished Colorado and started Connecticut

I tried the last recipe I had selected from Colorado Collage. I made Western Slope Peach Bread. It was very good, with a nice touch of spice. I had to use frozen peaches at this time of year, but do plan to make this when I can get fresh peaches in the summer. I think I will also leave out the nutmeg and just use cinnamon. I toasted the almonds that I added. Steven also liked it.

I have made two recipes from Connecticut a la Carte. I made Sunshine Carrots which was easy to put together. After cooking fresh carrots, I added an orange based sauce. The result is a nice citrus flavor, but not overpowering. Steven admitted that they were pretty good. Nice!

Then a few nights ago, I made Yankee Cobbler. This is a different type of cobbler than I have ever had since I have not had one made with apples. The sauce on the apples is made with cranberry juice cocktail and gives a nice tartness to the dish. I also liked the flavor of the biscuits with the lemon sugar sprinkled on top. There were a few mishaps in getting the cobbler prepared. It took much longer than stated in the recipe to get the apples cooked in the oven. Then I had a lot of the sauce that ran over in the oven. So I think if I try this again, I will make some changes. I will try cooking the apples on top of the stove and just finishing it in the oven to bake the biscuit topping. I think I will also try to reduce the amount I make since no one else ate any of it. So I would make about half.

No comments:

Post a Comment